Updates to High-Level Version Architecture
The NIEM High-Level Version Architecture (HLVA) was recently revised to make it more compatible with the latest NIEM version 3.0 series releases and other changes over the last several years. The new NIEM HLVA version 3.0 (10 April 2015) supersedes version 1.0 (published 31 July 2008). Significant changes can be summarized as follows:
- Now in HTML format (as well as TEXT) with highlighted definitions and hyperlinks.
- Adds new Section 8 "General Release Timelines" describing the NIEM Release Optimization Strategy approved by NIEM Executive Steering Council in June 2014.
- Figures 4.1 (non-coherence) and 4.2 (coherence) are revised for clarity. Text referring to these figures are also revised for clarity and synchronized to the figures.
- All former references to "core update" are now "core supplement".
- Adds to Section 1.1 "Scope": HLVA does not address IEPD versioning. IEPDs are managed and versioned independently of the core and domains. The NIEM Technical Architecture Committee is currently working to provide some guidance on IEPD versioning for the community to leverage. Once the guidance is finalized, it will be posted to the NIEM GitHub site.
Access the HLVA version 3.0 at http://reference.niem.gov/niem/specification/high-level-version-architecture/3.0/.