NIEM Version 5.2 is now Available
NIEM Version 5.2 is now available for download. This is the latest version of the NIEM common vocabulary that enables efficient information exchanges across diverse public and private organizations. NIEM Version 5.2 incorporates content identified since the NIEM 5.1 minor release was published in December 2021.
The NIEM Version 5.2 content submissions produced a significant increase in the overall size of the model, growing from approximately 13,000 elements to nearly 19,000 elements. The new Learning and Development domain submitted their initial content to the NIEM model and the U.S. Message Text Format (USMTF) community submitted a substantial contribution to the MilOps domain.
Highlights of NIEM Version 5.2 include:
- Added and updated content for DNA categories and encodings.
- Added and modified content to support State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial (SLTT) Agency Cyber Incident Reporting Requirements (CIRR) and Cyber-Physical System (CPS) Incident Reporting Requirements.
Learning and Development domain (new):
- Added content about courses, course sections, students, and employment positions.
- Updated the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC) codes.
- Added Minimum Essential Metadata (MEM) content.
- Added U.S. Message Text Format (USMTF) content as a subdomain, with information about military operations, missions, resources, readiness, and training.
FIPS county codes:
- Updated FIPS 3-digit and 5-digit county codes.
ISO 639-5 language family codes:
- Added the ISO 639-5 language family code set.
For a complete list of all the changes, release stats, and associated specifications, see the Notes.