The final operational release of NIEM version 3.1 has been published and is now available. NIEM 3.1 is a minor release that incorporates user needs since NIEM 3.0 was launched in November 2013.
NIEM 3.1 is available here.
The NIEM model was designed to accommodate updates on a regular basis in order to adapt and evolve with user needs. The NIEM release cycle allows us to make these model updates on a predictable and sustainable schedule.
NIEM 3.1 highlights:
One new domain has added content to the model for the first time:
- Welcome, Human Services!
Six existing domains have updated their model content:
- Children, Youth, and Family Services (CYFS)
- International Trade
- Military Operations (MilOps)
Two core supplements that apply to NIEM Core 3.0 are included:
- Supplement 3.0.1 – Incorporates all U.S. State codes into U.S. Postal Service (USPS) code list—including Alabama (AL); previously omitted
- Supplement 3.0.2 – Incorporates the following updates:
- Adds correct constraint for Longitude MGRSCoordinateType (Military Grid Reference System); increases precision
- Adds PersonUnionStatus (for Person associations).
- Adds new values added by authoritative sources to the following code lists:
NIEM 3.1 marks the first time we have exercised the new version 3.0 architecture that allows: (1) easy adjustments to code lists, and (2) supplements to core without the need to wait for a major release cycle!
Download and learn more about the core supplements at NIEM.github.io/technical/core-supplement/.