What are the Best of NIEM Awards?
The Best of NIEM Awards recognize teams or individuals for going above and beyond in collaborating, demonstrating measurable results, and furthering an efficient and effective government in their use of NIEM.
Winners will be publicly recognized with a news story on niem.gov, have a short video produced highlighting their project, and receive an award certificate from the NIEM Program Management Office.
Guidelines and Nominations
Best of NIEM is awarded to NIEM practitioners in the public and private sector who use NIEM to implement innovative and impactful solutions. Eligible nominees must:
- Show work in information exchange projects using NIEM that directly support federal, state, local, tribal, private sector and/or international initiatives.
- Demonstrate accomplishments based on the impacts during FY2018.
Senior executives and political appointees are NOT eligible for nomination.
Accomplishments should demonstrate:
- Involvement of people and ideas from two or more organizations collaborating to solve a common information exchange problem.
- Measurable improvement in performance, linked to mission objectives, through the successful implementation of NIEM.
- Reuse of a NIEM exchange through cross-boundary information exchange* initiatives.
- Conformance to NIEM as detailed in the NIEM Naming and Design Rules and Model Package Description Specification.
*A cross-boundary information exchange is one that crosses an organizational or agency boundary, including information exchange with international, state, local, tribal, industry, and nongovernmental organization partners.
The PMO has evaluated all the submissions against the criteria above and made award recommendations to the Executive Steering Committee (ESC). Awards will be announced during the October 2018 NIEM Face-to-Face conference in Arlington, VA.
Past Best of NIEM Winners
To see who has won Best of NIEM in the past, visit the success stories page.